The New 305 Drophead –
Smart speed day cruiser.
Nimbus launch their 305 Drophead in March – a new kind of day cruiser suitable for comfortable weekend and day trips. The boat is built on the new Smart Speed concept, treat there to create maximum comfort for all aboard at all speeds. Design and function are optimised for social activities and entertaining aboard.
– ‘With 305 Drophead we are turning to those looking for a wonderful and comfortable boat trip with focus on socialising and where speed is not the most important factor, order prescription ’ says Joacim Gustavsson, head designer at Nimbus.
Smart Speed concept
Smart Speed features a hull designed for comfortable ride at speeds from 0 to 22 knots. The hull has no distinct planing threshold and runs with good fuel economy at all speeds. Speed can be adapted to sea conditions, and this means higher safety, better comfort and the best possible way to experience the surrounding scenery. As can its sister, the 305 Coupé, the boat can be fitted with electric motor.
– ‘Some people like to drive fast when they’re at the helm, but very few like it when travelling too fast at sea. The central idea of this model is for all those aboard to enjoy themselves and socialise during the trip and under the open sky,’ said Joacim Gustavsson.
Simple and comfortable
305 Drophead is an open day cruiser and built on the same platform as the award winning 305 Coupé. This means stylistically pure Scandinavian design focused on simplicity of usage and clever, functional solutions.
– ‘Simplicity is a catchword in our design process. Using, owning and looking after a Nimbus should be simple and easy. Simplicity can sometimes be mistaken for less comfortable and less well built, but for us it means the opposite. Everyone aboard is to feel safe and comfortable in the knowledge that the required functionality is integrated where it should be and that it really does work. We know that it is only then that people can really enjoy their boating and socialising aboard,’ says Joacim Gustavsson.
One example is the powered canvas hood cover, which folds down into an integrated cassette in the window frame at the touch of a button – simple and elegant. When in place, the canvas roof shelters the entire cockpit, that is to say the helm, the wet bar and the dining area. The four-seat dining table converts easily into a spare double berth. The front sofa to port can be turned so two people can travel facing front.
The cockpit and aft deck fit seamlessly due to a wonderful choice of materials and the large 6-seater U-sofa aft – perfect on sunny days for those coming along for the trip.
The cockpit features a fully equipped, glass-fibre wet bar with 6-litre fridge, sink and space for a microwave oven, electric grill, electric or gas cooker. The boat feels especially large owing to the integrated bathing platform, after-deck and cockpit being built on the same kevel. The spacious socialising areas make this boat perfect for entertaining friends.
Cockpit and aft deck materials are carefully selected to provide an elegant and comfortable atmosphere while being as hardwearing and maintenance-free as possible. All that is needed is to raise the hood cover when you leave the boat over-night.
Attractive and hardwearing textiles
Textiles are in spin-dyed acrylic, a material that is not only hardwearing and withstands salt and sun without fading, is also soft and comfortable to sit on. The colours of the upholstery are light blue and beige. The colour scheme and contemporary patterns of the cushions enhance the furnishings.
– ‘Textiles have been carefully selected. Not only shall these be pleasantly attractive but also withstand sun, salt, water and hard wear. All textiles are from Sunbrella and renowned for withstanding hard climates and UV rays without colours and performance being affected. The cushion covers are machine washable, this being a demand among our customers,’ says Joacim Gustavsson.
The 305 Drophead virtually breathes Scandinavian design and materials have been selected with care. The interior of the boat exudes sheer quality and feels spacious and airy. The boat is fitted with integrated ventilation and opening port lights for generous light intake. Bulkhead covers in light coloured materials reduce noise. Mahogany fittings create a beautiful contrast with the lacquered surfaces and provide a warm atmosphere. Lighting is cleverly designed for both comfort and efficiency. The boat has two very comfortable cabins; the “owners cabin” and a side cabin, sharing the head and shower.
Sidewalk design provides the boat with a generous amount of space and makes moving around the boat and the fore deck easy and safe. Moreover, the 305 Drophead is fitted with grab handles and sturdy stainless steel pulpits for added safety. The foredeck features a generously proportioned sunbed.
No ordinary day cruiser
– ‘We wish to point out this boat is something new. Smart Speed combined with Sidewalk makes a big difference compared to a traditional, fast day cruiser. The name “Drophead” is taken from the large, classical British car manufacturers’ convertibles, often called “Drophead coupés”. Because 305 Drophead has a powered roof we wanted a name that sounded different and associated with the simplicity of raising and lowering the tops of today’s modern convertible cars,’ explains Joacim Gustavsson.
The 305 Drophead will be on sale as from the 23rd of January.
Nimbus 305 Drophead properties
- Purpose-built day and weekend boat for socialising
- Non-existent planning threshold and good fuel economy at all speeds from 0 to 22 knots (Smart Speed concept)
- Comfortable ride for everyone aboard irrespective of speed
- Sidewalk design – easy and safe to move around the boat and on the foredeck.
- Reversible passenger sofa/dinette with room for four, converts into an extra double berth.
- Owner’s cabin and head with integrated ventilation
- Electric power drive option, E-power
- Berth: four adults and two children (dinette double berth)
- Head and shower
- Well-equipped wet bar
- Built by Nimbus at the Mariestad yard, Sweden
- Hardwearing textiles from Sunbrella
Length (length of hull): 9,85 m
Width max: 3,25 m
Weight MLCC: 3 950 kg
Fuel capacity: 250 l
Water capacity: 150 l
Refrigerator capacity: 65 l
Septic tank: 80 l
Start battery: 1x12V 77Ah
Service battery: 3x12V 80Ah
Service battery Heavy Duty: 1x12V 77Ah, (+1 with stern thruster)
Battery charger and shore power with RCD (residual current circuit breaker)
Max no of persons: 8
CE category: B8
Number of berths: 6
Volvo Penta D3-110 81kW (110 hp)
Volvo Penta D3-150 110kW (150 hp)
Volvo Penta D3-220 164kW (220 hp)
Torqeedo Deep Blue i 1800 rpm 2×12,8kW (25,6kW) (80hp)
Questions regarding textiles in 305 Drophead contact:
Frida Johansson, Corporate Communication, Dickson-Constant/Sunbrella
+46 721-94 97 69, firstname.lastname@example.org